Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Historical Sew Monthly 2015 #3: handbag from the stash

The Historical sewing challenge for March is Stashbusting: Make something using only fabric, patterns, trims & notions that you already have in stash.

I have great amount of stashed fabric (I wish this challenge will be repeated each year:), but there was not enough time for anything considerable this month. So I decided to make handbag matching to my spencer that I made in 2012.










What the item is: bag matching to spencer that I made in 2012

The Challenge: Stashbusting

Fabric: cotton velvet, cotton for lining

Stashed for how long?: 2,5 years

Pattern: I made it myself

Year: the beginning of the 19th century (but there is no specific museum item)

Notions: bias tape (polyester), cotton thread

How historically accurate is it? It's machine-sewn. Materials are not ideal, and I'm not sure about the pattern (but I really need something like this for practical purposes).

Hours to complete: about 5 hours

First worn: not worn yet

Total cost: 0.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment